Saturday, March 7, 2009

A Day of Remembrance & Sadness


One year ago today 2 of our community fireman, both friends of my husband and his family lost their lives on a fire call to a local building.

I will never forget that day. I was at work when I heard the news and I cannot explain the feeling when I spoke to my mother-in-law and she said that she could not get in touch with Johnny (my father-in-law and another community fireman). My heart sank into my stomach. All we knew was that 2 fireman had fallen and nothing more. We did not even know if he was on the call. For a couple of hours we all sat in fear until the names of the 2 fireman were released -Victor Isler and Justin Monroe had died in the line of duty!

I remember feeling relieved and and sad all at the same time.

Today, we will all relive this day as they pay a tribute to our fallen firefighters. And once again we will hear the “Ringing of the Bell”. The fire bell will chime five times, in three distinct sets, signifying the “last return home”. This is a sound that anyone who has attended a service for a fellow fireman can never forget. After losing my step-father several years ago (also a firefighter) and hearing the "Ringing of the Bell" and the words that followed, "Robert Lee James Jr. your tour of duty is over, job well done. It is a sound that will forever touch my heart.

I would like to say, to their family and friends, that even though a year has passed, I know that their pain and sadness will remain for a lifetime and they are in my thoughts and prayers for that lifetime as well. May God bless you all!

Justin and Vic, you will both be remembered for rendering the ultimate sacrifice of giving your life for that of another and caring so much for people you didn't even know!

0 comments: